Transport For Christ, International


History of Transport For Christ

1951 - 1985 Established in 1951, for the first 35 years Transport For Christ (TFC) was primarily a mobile ministry, with chapels moving from truck stop to truck stop. Highway News and Good News began in March 1957 as a mimeographed sheet called Highway Evangelist with a circulation of 280. By 1985, with only two of six Mobile Chapels in operation, 100 to 120 truckers were coming to Jesus Christ each year.
1986 - 1990 In 1986, TFC placed the first permanent chapel at a truck stop in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, at the request of the truck stop owner. That year, 150 drivers trusted Christ through the ministry of that one chapel. Operational costs were dramatically reduced and many local people became involved in the ministry as volunteers. From this point on, all new TFC Mobile Chapels were placed permanently at truck stops across the country. TFC became a member of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA) in 1990.
1995 - 1998 TFC placed six new Mobile Chapels in the United States:
  • Council Bluffs, Iowa
  • Nashville, Tennessee
  • Toledo, Ohio
  • Omaha, Nebraska
  • Cordele, Georgia
  • Elkton, Maryland (the second chapel in Elkton)

In addition, a second chapel was inaugurated in Moscow, Russia, this one permanently placed at the Ring Road's largest truck stop.
1999 - 2004 TFC placed eight new Mobile Chapels in the United States and Canada:
  • Denver, Colorado
  • Sacramento, California
  • Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada
  • Columbia, South Carolina
  • Greensboro, North Carolina
  • Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
  • Grand Rapids, Michigan

In addition, a third chapel was shipped to Russia in the Fall of 2000.
2005 - 2009 The International Office built a new Mobile Chapel to be featured at truck shows, church events and mission conferences in the U.S. and Canada. In 2007, TFC launched a new website called Drivers Wellness with a free daily wellness blog for email subscribers. A 24/7 Toll free Trucker Prayer Line was opened: 1-877-797-7729 (PRAY). The Highway News and Good News began offering a free email subscription in 2008.

In order to be better stewards our financial resources, TFC switched to a local financial accountability partner instead of staying with the ECFA in 2009. Even though we are no longer members of the ECFA, we continue to use the practices they hold all their members to. Please contact us if you would like to speak with our local accountability partner directly or if you would like to receive our annual compiled financial statement.

TFC placed four new Mobile Chapels in the United States and Canada:
  • East St. Louis, Illinois
  • Beaverdam, Ohio
  • Racine, Wisconsin
  • St. Liboire, Quebec, Canada
2010 TFC began partnering with Truckers Against Trafficking, an initiative dedicated to enlisting the help of all members of the trucking industry in the fight against human trafficking.

TFC placed one new Mobile Chapel in the United States:
  • Indianapolis, Indiana

For current TFC information, click here.


Home | About TFC | Mobile Chapels | Links | Good News | Contact Us | Highway News
Donations | Videos | TFC Today | Ministry News | Faith Statement | Looking Ahead | History

© 2017 Transport For Christ International   All rights reserved.   Privacy   Site Administration

Website by infinet design